Peterson's Drum Blog: Inside Drummer - Matt Disbrow Peterson's Drum Blog: Inside Drummer - Matt Disbrow

Peterson's Drum Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Inside Drummer - Matt Disbrow





Well it’s that time of the month! Peterson’s Drum Blog is very proud to present our first Inside Drummer interview . Matt Disbrow, from Ohio band Shakebase, is stopping by this month to tell you about his view on drumming and much more.


Peterson's Drum Blog:
Matt, before we learn about you, let’s learn about your drums. What are the sizes and color?

Matt Disbrow:
Pearl SMX: 22x18 kick, 10x8 and 12x9 toms (13x10 on occaision), 16x16 floor, and a 14x5 Pearl Chad Smith signature snare.

PDB:
How long have you had that set?

MD:
I've had it for about 4 years now.

PDB:
Do you plan to keep it longer, or do you have your eye on any others?

MD:
I plan to keep it for a very long time. They're very nice drums, with very versatile sound...I still have a lot of sound to experiment with. Plus, I've got a floor-kick converter on the way, so technically I will have two kits to use: the kick, 12, and 16 for a larger kit, and the 16, 10, and 13 for a smaller jazz/jungle kit.

PDB:
Now let’s hear about you. What or who inspired you to play and why?

MD:
I hadn't really found any instrument I enjoyed when I was younger. I played piano and trumpet. In the music store, I saw the drum section and I wanted to play from then on. In terms of drumming inspiration, I'd say I worship John Bonham as my lord and savior.

PDB:
What was your first gig?

MD:
My first gig was about 2 years ago at a benefit concert my school puts on.

PDB:
How did you become the drummer for Shakebase?

MD:
There aren't many talented drummers where we live. Two of the other members I'd been friends with for a very long time, and we just wanted to make music. Namely music that our town had never heard before.

PDB:
How long has Shakebase been around?

MD:
We've been official since July/August of 2007.

PDB:
Do you plan to go on the road with them, or is it always going to be a local band?

MD:
We plan on going on the road in the summer. Expect to see us in IN, KY, and quite possibly MI, PA, and TN.

PDB:
Do you write any of your own stuff?

MD:
I do write my own solo music, but I am usually to busy to write/record any of it. Most of my time is devoted to Shakebase, be it practicing or engineering some tracks.

PDB:
Is there any advice you want to give to new drummers?

MD:
Don't give up! It's hard! It's so easy to put your sticks down and get aggrivated, but really the more you practice the better you'll become. Pretty simple.

PDB:
Thanks Matt for the interview! Is there anything that you would like to add?

MD:
Listen to Shakebase and look out for a full-length album in May/June!

PDB:
I will inform the readers when that debut album comes out.



To find out more about Shakebase, go to
www.myspace.com/shakebase

To find out more about Matt Disbrow, go to
www.myspace.com/mattdisbrow

Or go to Matt's Inside Drummer page: Click Here

Labels: , ,

posted by peterson at 1:59 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home