Peterson's Drum Blog: Todd Sucherman Interview Peterson's Drum Blog: Todd Sucherman Interview

Peterson's Drum Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Todd Sucherman Interview

Note from Admin:
This interview is for June.




Petersons Drum Blog:
Your father was a drummer. What did he teach you when you first started playing?
Todd Sucherman:
I took to the drums as an infant and when he saw I was serious about it around the age of 3 and 4, he showed me time on the drums. Basic time. We started on music notation around the time I was 6 or so.

PDB:
Your first paying gig was at the age of six. What was your set up like back then?

TS:
It was his set up really. A four piece kit with an 18" bass drum. Ride, crash, hats. It was a 1969 Slingerland kit and I still have it. It really is a beautiful sounding jazz kit.

PDB:
You later went to Berklee for a year. What was that like?

TS:
Much later! It was a special time. A fun and exciting 9 months I had there, and made many wonderful friends. I studied with Ian Froman and Skip Hadden as well as privately with Gary Chaffee. It's been 20 years already and I have many fond memories of that time.

PDB:
After Berklee, you returned to Chicago and became a session player. What was the recording scene like, in Chicago 88'?

TS:
Well, it took a while to infiltrate that scene. I knew several players in town and just started working and taking every gig I could. In time I was working with guys who were in the session scene and they sort of pulled me in. No easy task. There was a lot of work in those days (and I'm talking like an old guy now...) but most of that work was music for TV and radio spots. Again, it was an exciting time to be in my early 20s and driving from session to session never knowing what was around the corner musically.

PDB:
When John(Former STYX drummer)passed, you became the drummer for Styx. What was your first show like?

TS:
Well, I was brought in before then. John was in ill health and I was called to play the remake of "Lady" from the A&M Greatest Hits CD in '95. In '96 they called me again to Play on "Little Suzie" for Greatest Hits II. I was asked to do the summer tour in 1996 with the caveat that if John's health improved, the gig would be his. He died in the middle of that summer, so I've been around ever since. The first show was great---May 21st, 1996 in Cedar Rapids. I'll always remember that one. We did another 71 shows that summer.

PDB:
At first with Styx, playing live, did you want to play the songs like they were originally recorded, or give them your own style?

TS:
I always try to retain the flavor of the original recordings. I'm a different human being that John, as is anyone who would have the drum chair in this band, so it can only sound so alike, you know? I go for denser patterns and think in longer phrases perhaps. I enjoy updating things a bit but again it's important to honor the feeling of the tracks that were famous songs long before I came around. I'm not looking to jam "my thing" in there. If things fit nicely and musically, well, OK. The songs have to be recognizable to the paying audience!

PDB:
You put on a great live show. What do you do to warm-up before a show?

TS:
Nothing special except being loose in all my limbs and being on the verge of breaking a sweat. I stretch and warm up on a pad for a good 30 minutes or so before each show.

PDB:
You have a very nice snare collection. What is your favorite
out of them all?

TS:
Impossible to answer. They are all special to me for various reasons. There's not a dud in the bunch. I will say that Pete Stanbridge is a genius and might be the most exquisite builder of wooden drums--sort of a modern day Stradivarius of drums. (Stanbridgedrums. com)

PDB:
Have you ever played a show with one of your snares other than your Masterworks snare?

A. A Styx show? Sure. My main workhorse snare from 2002-2007 was a Pearl Ultra Cast. Great drum and one of the best in Pearl's arsenal in my opinion.

PDB:
Bubinga is your artisan finish of choice. How different in your opinion does the artisan wood on the inner plies differ on your new kit verses the old?

TS:
I've been in love with Bubinga ever since I saw the first Sonor Signature set at a NAMM show in '80 or '81. It's magical to me. I had Bubinga put in the inside of the drum more for aesthetics than sound. Again, being a fan of the old Sonors where they would match the finish on the inside, it gives the drums a hollowed out log look to me, sitting behind them peering in through the clear heads. The biggest sonic difference on the new kit is the round Reference bearing edge cut and the thicker shells from the 14" on up. The round bearing edge cut gives the drum a beautiful depth and rich fundamental tone. Very inspiring.

PDB:
Tell us about the gong bass, and what heads you chose for it.
Can you give us a run down on the cymbal set up?

TS:
All toms and gong drums have Remo clear Ambassadors. My live cymbal rig contains:
(All Sabian--all brilliant finish)

19" AAX Extreme China
14" AA Regular Hi Hats
6" AA Splash
8" AAV Splash
17" Vault Crash
19' Vault Crash
10" AA Splash
22" Chester Thompson Precision Ride
18" AAX Dark Crash
13" AAX Stage Hats
9" Proto Type Bell
10" Chopper
22" AAX Extreme China
20 AA Medium Thin Crash

PDB:
What was your idea for your new signature stick?

TS:
Well, I've been using them for four years but I suppose they've only been available to the public for a year or so. I wanted a fairly beefy 5B type size but made of maple, which is slightly lighter than hickory and much lighter than oak. Maple tips almost never chip and they dent in the middle instead of shredding like hickory does. As well, I wanted some weight shaved off right before the acorn tip so I could control the sticks easily even while holding them pretty far back. They are a bit unique I must say. I love the silky organic feel of maple as well as the ride cymbal sound. It's the stick I've always been looking for and they work in all applications and styles. ( Check out the Autograph Series Todd Sucherman SD330 W from Pro Mark---Promark. com)

PDB:
What head set up do you use live?

TS:
Remo clear Ambassadors top and bottom of toms and gong drum. Coated Ambassador on snare with Hazy Ambassador snare side. Clear Powerstroke 3s on the bass drums.

PDB:
What head set up do you use in the studio?

TS:
Same exact set up.

PDB:
Any plans for 2008-2009 clinics or instruction videos?

TS:
Yes! 2008 is shaping up to be a big year fro me. I've worked very hard on an instructional DVD that comes out August 5th called "Methods and Mechanics" from Altitude Digital. We filmed in HD Pro Resolution 4-2-2 in 16x9 and the eye and ear candy is pretty impressive, I have to say. It's a double DVD that clocks in at over 5 hours and has some unique things--lots of career navigational advice and thoughts on touring, practicing, achieving goals, and various mental aspects of playing. There are also solos through out as well as musical examples from Styx, Taylor Mills, and Jerry Goodman (of Mahavishnu Orchestra fame). I hope it proves to be enlightening as well as entertaining, and that it puts many musicians on the right path. I think a lot of young drummers are getting the wrong message and I think it's important.....really of paramount importance...to pass on information that can help people actually WORK in this business and find employment as musicians, and not just be stick twirlers and magicians. This is the culmination of playing for 37 years, since I was two. I hope it enhances the musical journeys of those who buy it and watch it. (Pre orders will be available starting the last week of July at Altitudedigital. com) As far as clinics? I'll be on the road through mid October so I hope to do some clinics in November and December if the economy lets me! Let's hope so.
(Check out the performance trailer of "Methods and Mechanics" at Drummerworld. com's video page....as well as clips at Altitudedigital. com)

Labels:

posted by peterson at 8:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home